Posted by Tara on Monday, October 13th, 2014
- 12oz package bacon – cooked and crumbled, save 2 T bacon drippings
- 2 medium sized sweet onions – diced
- 2 stalks celery – diced
- 2 32oz boxes vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 chicken bullion cubes (I use NOT CHICKEN brand – gluten free, MSG free)
- 6 medium potatoes – peeled and diced (about 2 pounds)
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup flour (use cornstarch for gluten free recipe)
- 4 cups whole milk – divided
- 12 oz sour cream – 1 cup for soup, 1/2 cup for garnish
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese – 2 cups for soup, 1 cup for topping
- 1 cup green chopped onions – 1/2 cup for soup, 1/2 cup for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook bacon strips in large skillet or in microwave. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the drippings. Crumble cooked bacon and set aside.
Sautee the diced onions and celery in the large skillet with the 2 Tablespoons of drippings and set aside.
In a large Dutch oven add the vegetable or chicken broth. Bring broth to a boil, then add the diced potatoes. Reduce heat to medium and let potatoes simmer 10-15 mintues, or until potatoes become tender. Add chicken bullion cubes. While potatoes are simmering in broth, place the stick of butter in a saucepan. Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat then add the flour (or cornstarch). Whisk the mixture quickly to blend the flour and butter, then gradually pour 2 cups whole milk into the butter/flour mixture and continue whisking over medium heat. Mixture will begin to thicken. Continue whisking until mixture is smooth but slightly thick. Then add thicken mixture to the tender potatoes and broth. Stir gently to mix the flour mixture with the potatoes and broth. Then add the other 2 cups of milk to the dutch oven. Also add the sautéed onions and celery to the Dutch oven. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and add 2 cups grated cheddar cheese. Stir gently to melt and blend the cheese with the soup. Add 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup diced onions, and 1/2 cup of the bacon. Stir to blend all the ingredients and serve right away. Use remaining cheese, bacon, sour cream, and onions to garnish individual bowls of soup.
1 cup of diced ham could be used in place of the bacon. Chopped chives could also be used for garnish.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.