Posted by Tara on Saturday, July 19th, 2014
I am loving all the fresh garden vegetables in harvest right now. My Lester Farm’s CSA basket is full of garden fresh goodness each week. The items in one of my recent baskets were an inspiration for this recipe. For a gluten free version, see instructions at the end of the recipe.
- 1/2 cup fine chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup diced squash
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup fresh corn nibblets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising corn meal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
Place the diced/chopped broccoli, squash, zucchini, corn, carrots, and onions in a glass dish and microwave 3-5 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender. While vegetables are cooking, mix the self-rising meal, buttermilk, egg, and seasoned-salt together. Add the cooked vegetables and blend to mix well. Prepare a deep fryer with 3-4 cups of vegetable oil and preheat to 400 degrees. When fryer is preheated, use a 1 oz cookie dough scoop to drop batter into hot grease. Cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on underside, then use tongs to flip puppies over. Cook another 1-2 minutes, or until puppies are brown on both sides. Remove them from hot oil, and drain them on fresh paper towels. Serve while warm with dipping sauce.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-2 teaspoons Tobasco sauce
Mix together in small bowl for dipping puppies!
* For a gluten free version, use 2 cups of plain gluten free corn meal along with 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teasoon salt in place of the self-rising corn meal and flour.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.