Posted by Tara on Friday, June 27th, 2014
One of the best things about the South’s muggy buggy summers is eating all those fresh garden veggies you can pick up at places like Lester Farm’s Produce, or even your back yard garden. Last week there were some amazingly tasty fresh picked green beans and new potatoes in my Lester Farm’s CSA basket. Prep time for this pot of down home goodness took no more than 10 minutes. Here’s how:
In a large cast iron Dutch oven add:
- 4 cups fresh prepared green beans (tips and strings removed, cut in half, then rinsed)
- 8-10 small unpeeled new potatoes (scrubbed well, then quartered)
- 1 small peeled sweet onion cut into quarters
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – 1 cup diced country ham
- 2 quarts water
Add all the ingredients to a Dutch oven and cover. Bring mixture to a boil then simmer 30-40 minutes or until beans and potatoes are tender. If adding country ham, salt may be omitted. If mixture boils dry before beans and potatoes are tender, more water can be added 1 cup at a time.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.