Posted by Tara on Sunday, April 14th, 2013
Since most of us around here have either gone Gluten Free or have reduced/eliminated most grains – we thought it was time to give QUINOA a try. I wanted my first attempt cooking QUINOA to become a regular breakfast staple. Apple Pie Quinoa was just the thing to win over dear hubby and at least one of the kids. I cook this recipe on the stove top. Sometimes I make a double batch, pour it up in those little half pint jars and let them cool before sealing them. On the go breakfast is now easy and healthier for us. The little jars can be reheated and taken along for the ride to work or school or where ever. This batch will make about 4 1 cup servings, or fill 8 half pint jars.
- 1 cup rinsed organic quinoa
- 2 cups water, or milk, or unsweetened coconut milk
- dash salt
- 1 small tart apple cored and diced into small bits (peeling is optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to suit your taste buds)
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar OR 1-2 Stevia packets (I like to use Toffee Flavored Stevia Drops)
In a medium sized sauce pan, add the rinsed quinoa and the water or milk, along with the diced apple. Bring mixture to boil then reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking seeds until they are translucent and have spiraled a bit (10-15 minutes). Watch pan carefully and do not let quinoa boil dry. A little extra water can be added if needed. When grain is cooked, add the salt, cinnamon, nuts, butter, and brown sugar or Stevia. Best served warm. Someone here put real cream over the top of theirs. I heard it was yummy!
2 Responses to “Apple Pie Quinoa – Gluten Free Breakfast!”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.