Posted by Tara on Saturday, December 15th, 2012
Funnel cakes are very simple to make and the mix is even simpler. Add the following together in a large bowl and whisk to blend. Then pour into a quart jar and seal with ring and lid. Attach a funnel (97 cents at Wal-mart) and you’ve got another gift that costs under 3$ to make.
For the jar mix
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions for making funnel cake batter:
You will need:
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a deep medium sized skillet, heat 3 cups vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it registers 350° to 375° on a deep-fat thermometer.
- While oil is heating, add contents of jar to a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the milk, vanilla, and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Transfer about a cup of batter into a large funnel, holding a finger over funnel opening until you are ready to pour batter into the hot oil. Carefully drizzle about 1 cup batter (one-eighth of the mixture) back and forth into the oil, making a free-form lacy web. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, turn funnel cake over and cook until golden on the other side, about 1 minute more. Transfer the funnel cake to paper towels to drain briefly. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Dust the funnel cakes with confectioners’ sugar and serve hot. Other toppings to consider are chocolate syrup, preserves, apple topping, cinnamon and sugar, or even caramel topping. YUM!
One Response to “12 Days of Christmas Jar Gifts – Funnel Cake Mix”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.