Posted by Tara on Friday, June 28th, 2013
Nothing sceams SOUTHERN quite like garden fresh tomatoes and bacon. Try this recipe for a quick summer dinner or even for breakfast. It’s yummy!
You will need
- 1 9″ deep dish pie crust (cooked at 350 for 12 minutes)
- 1/2 chopped sweet yellow onion
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (squeeze juice out of tomatoes and let them drain some before measuring)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped chives (reserve some for garnish)
- 8 pieces cooked crumbled bacon (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- dash Tabasco sauce or a dash of ground red pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
Partially bake the pie crust by placing it in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Prick holes in bottom of crust before baking. Remove pie crust from oven and let cool.
While pie crust is cooking, chop the onions, tomatoes, chives and and basil. Shred the cheese if needed and crumble the bacon. Mix the cheese and mayo together then add the Tabasco sauce or the ground red pepper, and enough salt and black pepper to suit your taste. Set cheese mayo mixture aside.
When pie crust is cool, spread the onions, then the drained tomatoes, followed by the basil and chives, then the bacon into the pie crust. Then spread the mayo/cheese mixture over the top of the other ingredients. Garnish with remaining bacon and chives. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Let pie cool slightly before serving.
It is important to really drain those tomatoes else the pie crust will be soggy. You can also use canned diced tomatoes – just be sure to drain them well.
2 Responses to “Tomato Bacon Pie!”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.