Posted by Tara on Wednesday, August 25th, 2010
Here’s a quick recipe that is a family favorite here at home. To avoid MSG, I used mostly organic ingredients, and olive for sautéing. Chicken Lettuce Wraps end up being healthier choice than Chinese takeout.
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Red Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (divided)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts – diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped cashews (optional)
- ½ cup chopped water chestnuts (optional)
- 8-10 leaves of Romaine or Greenleaf lettuce, washed and dried
Combine rice vinegar, brown sugar, ground red pepper, ginger, sesame oil, and 2 Tablespoons of the soy sauce in a small bowl. Whisk to mix and dissolve the brown sugar. Set aside.
In a wok or large skillet, add 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. Turn heat to medium high and add diced chicken. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes until chicken is slightly brown. Remove chicken from skillet or wok. Add 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet, and then add diced onion, garlic, and remaining soy sauce. Sautee onions, garlic with soy sauce for one minute. Add browned chicken, liquid mixture, cashews, and water chestnuts. Sautee all ingredients for another minute.
Serve over lettuce leaves alongside some home fried rice.
One Response to “Chicken Lettuce Wraps”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.