Posted by Tara on Monday, November 16th, 2009
Richard’s Cousin Renee adapted this soup recipe from the Food Network. I also made my sister-in-law’s Mexican cornbread (coming soon to www.taracooks.com)to go with the soup. I intended to have leftovers but this soup disappeared! Make it soon. I promise it will be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium rib celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium canned (I used 8 cups)
- 1/4 cup canned green chiles
- 14 oz. frozen corn kernels ( I used a can of shoe peg corn)
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- (I also added 2 NO CHICK’N bullion cubes)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded ( I simmered 4 breasts with skins in water, and used the broth in this soup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, chili powder, and cumin, and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the green chiles, corn, tomatoes, and oregano and cook for another 5 minutes.
Pull the saucepan from the heat and stir in the chicken, cilantro leaves, and lime juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Download Adobe Reader